Apply for a Grant
The CareSource Foundation provides grants to non-profit organizations who impact children, adults and families in areas that mirror the social determinants of health. Those include:
- Economic stability
- Safe, healthy homes and neighborhoods
- Job skills and employment
- Access to healthcare including physical, mental and behavioral health
- Early childhood education and child development
- Healthy behaviors and lifestyle concerns
- Public policy surrounding critical need health issues
- Strategic public/private partnerships designed to increase healthy communities
- Requesting organizations must be based in the state of Ohio
- Proposing organizations must be IRS-qualified 501(c)3 non-profit organizations
- Grant applications are accepted throughout the year; no formal deadlines
- Grant applications are reviewed six times/year
- Preference will be given to those applicants working with populations parallel to the CareSource consumer demographic and those who most closely mirror the funding priorities above.
- Grantees will be contacted by email with the outcome of their proposal within two weeks of the final review period.
- Single-year funding only
- The Foundation will fund either program grants or operating grants—the choice is up to the requesting organization.
- All successful grantees will agree to a formal end-of-grant evaluation process (available online)
- Organizations may not apply for grants in consecutive years. At least one year must lapse between the end of the grant before organizations may apply for additional funding (i.e. a grantee in 2015 will not be eligible to reapply for funding until 2017)
- Typical Responsive Grants are between $3,000 - $10,000 based on the geographical reach, connection to the CareSource consumer population and number of individuals receiving services/impact from the requesting organization
As a result of policy, law or funding restrictions, The CareSource Foundation will generally not fund:
- Organizations that discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship status, sex, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any applicable federal, state or local laws
- Organizations without 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status
- Individual primary or secondary schools; however, a school partner may be considered
- Sectarian organizations having a predominantly religious purpose
- Political parties, offices or individual candidates
- Fundraising events or benefits
- Capital campaigns
- Fraternal or veteran organizations
- Scholarships or educational fees
- Organizations who cannot provide adequate accounting records or procedures
- Colleges and universities
- Funding for deficits or debt retirement
- Disease-specific organizations with multiple chapters throughout Ohio
- Equine therapy programs
- Individual hospital, hospital network or hospital foundation requests
- Senior living residential centers or communities
To Apply for a Responsive Grant from the CareSource Foundation
- Review the mission of the Foundation and the priority funding focus areas
- If you believe your organization and/or program is a good fit, please email Cathy Ponitz, Vice President of the CareSource Foundation (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following:
- Brief overview of the organization
- Where your program or organization fits within the social determinants of health priority funding areas
- Upon successful review, you will be invited to apply and receive a copy of the CareSource Foundation proposal via email
- All proposals must be submitted electronically to a specific CareSource Foundation mailbox. Details in the proposal packet.
- Paper requests are not accepted
- Proposals must be submitted in Word format exactly as outlined in the proposal template
- No additional cover pages, attachments, articles, photos, letters of support or addendums are necessary or preferred.
- Required financial documents must be attached to submission and may be in Word, Access, Excel or PDF format.
Thank you for connecting to the CareSource Foundation!