Health Care Terms

Learn what the terms mean that your provider uses. There are even more word means in your Navigate member handbook.

Inpatient ServicesInpatient Services are when you spend at least one night in a hospital setting and get care. This can be for mental health and/or substance use needs.
Intensive Home-Based Treatment (IHBT)IHBT is a mental health service for young people. IHBT brings care to the youth’s home and school. A number of resources can help youth and their families with complex emotional needs. IHBT helps keep the family together and make a healthy home.
Mental Health Day TreatmentDay treatment is a structured program for adults with mental health conditions. It offers one-on-one and group therapy, and lets you work on your social skills. Services are given in a community setting. It can last a half day or whole day.
Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) ServicesPHP is an outpatient therapy program that helps treat mental health conditions. It can also be used to treat substance use disorder (SUD). PHP is given in a hospital or Community Mental Health Center (CMHC) setting. It may be offered if you were recently in the hospital. It includes one-on-one and group therapy. Treatment happens during the day. You do not have to stay overnight.
Pharmacological CounselingWhen you work with your provider to make sure your medications are working. This can be things like reviewing and changing your dosage.
Psychiatric Diagnostic EvaluationA mental health provider looks at you and your family’s health and social history. They may be a psychiatrist, counselor or social worker. They may diagnose you by what you share with them. They can help you get treatment. They may also link you to other services that can help you.
Psychological TestingA series of tests performed by a psychologist. The tests look at your behaviors, emotions, and thoughts. They can help you understand how severe your symptoms are. Your test results will help you and your provider learn what may have caused your symptoms. Then, you can discuss what treatment may help you most.
Psychotherapy (family, group, individual)It is also known as counseling or “talk therapy.” You can talk about your feelings and thoughts with a licensed therapist. You may learn skills to change your behavior, help relationships, and manage your symptoms. These sessions can be one-on-one, with loved ones, or in a group setting.

Member Services: 1-833-230-2005 (TDD/TTY: 711) Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. CT