Substance Use Disorder Toolkit
CareSource understands that many members will visit their primary medical provider (PMP) first when an underlying substance use disorder (SUD) condition exists and PMPs are often the first line of defense to getting these members needed treatment. CareSource is committed to increasing SUD screening, brief intervention, and referral to treatment (SBIRT) with our providers who see members presenting symptoms of the condition.
We have developed this toolkit to empower both primary care and behavioral health providers in everyday practice to address members’ unmet needs. This toolkit provides downloadable resources and practical tools that you can use in your everyday practice as you strive to make SUD education and screening a priority when seeing members.
Substance Use Disorder Information Resources
We encourage you to explore these informational resources about SUD to gain a better understanding of the condition, how it impacts members, and how you can proactively screen and bill for SUD.
- SUD Overview Brochure
- SUD Integrated Care Flier
- SBIRT Flier
- Initiation and Engagement to Treatment (IET) Flier
Substance Use Disorder Screening and Assessments
We encourage you to download and implement the following screening tools in your practice and utilize with members for SUD when they present symptoms. These tools can be used to aid in the initial evaluation process to proactively identify the presence of SUD, including implementing the standard SBIRT process into your practice. Using these tools can help make the decision to refer to a behavioral health provider or to SUD treatment more efficiently.
- Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) – a comprehensive, integrated approach to help medical practitioners identify and provide early intervention to those patients (see linked flier above for more information).
- CAGE AID – a commonly used, four-question tool used to screen for drug and alcohol use. It is a quick questionnaire to help determine if an alcohol assessment is needed. If a person answers yes to two or more questions, a complete assessment is advised.
- AUDIT – a 10-question questionnaire that screens for hazardous or harmful alcohol consumption. The AUDIT is particularly suitable for use in primary care settings and has been used with a variety of populations and cultural groups. It should be administered by a health professional or paraprofessional.