Quick Start Steps for New Members
(or Their Parents/Guardians)
- Put your CareSource ID card in your wallet. Use it each time you use your health care benefits.
- Review your CareSource member handbook to learn about your CareSource benefits. Refer back to it before you use your benefits if you have questions. Note your benefit start date on your welcome letter.
- Make sure the health care providers you plan to use are in the CareSource network. In most cases, CareSource does not pay for charges from providers that are not part of our network. You can use the Find a Doctor/Provider search tool to find:
- Your primary medical provider (PMP)
- Any specialists you expect to see
- Your hospital
- Visit My CareSource and set up your personal online account. You will need your member ID number from your ID card or new member kit welcome letter. You’ll also need to enter a secure password. You can use your My CareSource account to change your doctor, ask for a new ID card, view claims and plan details, update your contact information and choose the way you would like for us to communicate with you.
- Download the free CareSource mobile app through Google Play or iTunes. It will keep you connected to your CareSource benefits on the go — you can even view your ID card!
- All members can earn a $20 gift card once your benefits are active by taking the following three steps through your My CareSource® account or calling Member Services:
- Choose your communication preference. Tell us how you want us to send you information: by regular mail, email or text. You will be prompted to make these choices the first time you log in to your My CareSource account. If you choose email or text, you will get an email or text notifying you to check your My CareSource account to receive your message.
- Choose or change your PMP.
- Complete the Health Needs Screening.
- Learn about the extra benefits CareSource provides, such as:
- Life Services (GED and JobConnect)
- Youth programs
- Convenience care and services
- Do you regularly take prescription medications? If so, make sure these medicines are on the CareSource drug list. Check the drug list to see if they require approval from CareSource before they can be filled.
- Do you have an ongoing medical condition, such as pregnancy, diabetes or asthma? If you have a condition and think you may benefit from extra support from CareSource, call Member Services to ask about our Care Management or Disease Management programs.
- Do you have a medical procedure planned or treatment underway? If so, call Member Services right away (before the procedure/treatment).
Time for a Checkup?
If it has been more than a year since you have had a checkup from your current PMP or you are choosing a new PMP, we recommend you schedule a checkup – even if you are not sick. Children may need well-visit checkups more frequently depending on their age. It lets your doctor assess how to help you get and stay healthy and recommend any preventive care needed. If you are a new patient, it establishes you as that doctor’s patient so that you can get appointments faster if you get sick or injured.
Member Services: 1-844-607-2829 (TTY: 1-800-743-3333), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday – Friday