Advance Directive

How could you be sure you would receive the medical treatment you choose if you were sick or incapacitated (for example, if you are unable to speak for yourself)?

You have the legal right for your health care choices to be stated, even when you cannot talk. Your choices are made legal by a Health Care Advance Directive.

Question: What is a Health Care Advance Directive?

Answer: A Health Care Advance Directive tells others about how you want to be treated when you are sick, hurt and not able to speak for yourself.

If you would like to make sure your wishes are heard if you cannot talk, you will need to start a Health Care Advance Directive. This can be done through a Living Will and/or a Health Care Power of Attorney. Both are explained below.

Question: What is a “Declaration for Mental Health”?

Answer: A Declaration for Mental Health gives you more specific attention to mental health care. It lets you state your choices about your mental health treatment. You can choose a person to make mental health care choices for you when you are not able to.

Question: What is a Living Will?

Answer: A living will states, in writing, the health care you wish to have or not have, when you are sick, hurt and not able to speak for yourself.

Question: What is Health Care Power of Attorney?

Answer: A Health Care Power of Attorney allows you to choose a fellow adult who would make health care choices for you if you are not able.

Plan Ahead

It will help you, your family and your friends if you create your Health Care Advance Directive. When you make your living will or choose a person as your Health Care Power of Attorney, the health care provider will know how to care for you on your own terms, even when you cannot speak for yourself.

Learn More

Health care laws differ from state to state. To make sure your wishes are heard, you should use a form that you know is legal in the state where you live. Below is a list of web site links to your state’s facts. For more info, click on your state’s link or call the state number listed below:

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Health Care Services

Call 1-800-882-6006

Info for US

CaringInfo: National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization

MIDHHS - MI Health Link Logo