Medication Therapy Management
Medication Therapy Management, or MTM, is a service we offer at no cost to eligible members. MTM is not considered a benefit. It is a program to help you and your doctor make sure the medicines you take are safe and work for you. MTM reduces the risk of negative drug interactions.
What Does MTM Provide?
- Annual comprehensive medication review
This review is a one-on-one consultation with a CareSource pharmacist. During the review, your medications are reviewed to ensure appropriate therapy. Goals of the medication therapy and any problems are discussed in confidence. After the review, you will receive a completed Personal Medication List and Medication Action Plan by mail.
- Quarterly targeted medication reviews
- Follow-up steps as necessary
Who Can Be in the Program?
CareSource members who have chronic health conditions and who take many drugs may qualify for the program. If you meet the qualifications below, you will get a letter in the mail letting you know that you are enrolled.
You will be enrolled in this program if you:
- Take six or more Medicare Part D covered maintenance drugs
- Have three or more long-term health conditions, such as diabetes, asthma or high blood pressure
- Spend more than $4,255 a year on Part D covered medications
How Does the Program Work?
- First, you qualify for the program.
- Then, you meet with an MTM pharmacist. Our Member Services can help you find a pharmacy close to you.
- Your MTM pharmacist will go over your medicines with you at your first visit. This is called a Comprehensive Medication Review (CMR). This will take approximately 45 minutes to one hour to complete.
- Your MTM pharmacist will also give you a Personal Medication List and Action Plan, or Standardized Takeaway Form.
- The Standardized Takeaway Form will have all of your medicines and how you should take them.
- Your MTM pharmacist may find problems with your medicines. For example, you might be taking more than one drug that does the same thing. Or you might not be taking enough of one medicine, or too much.
- Your pharmacist will talk with you and your doctor to fix any problems that come up during the CMR.
How Else Can My MTM Pharmacist Help Me?
- Your pharmacist can help you come up with a good schedule to take all your medicines.
- You may be able to take an over-the-counter drug instead of a prescription drug. Your pharmacist can help you decide if over-the-counter drugs can help you.
- Your doctor may give you a new medicine to take. Your MTM pharmacist will talk about what the drug does for you and how to use it the right way. The pharmacist will also follow up with you to make sure the medicine is working right and you are not having any problems.
Who Do I Call if I Have Questions?
You may not want to be a part of this program. You may choose not to participate. Or, you may want more information. Please call Member Services: 1-855-475-3163 (TTY: 1-800-750-0750 or 711), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Member Services: 1-855-475-3163 (TTY: 1-800-750-0750 or 711), 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday – Friday.